Edubuntu version 12.04 Beta 2 is now released. This beta release is a pre-release version released for testing purposes and shouldn't be used in production.
Here are a few highlights since the last release:
- This beta fixes a few issues that were identified in the previous beta release, including improved translations, a new Epoptes release and a new LTSP.
- Edubuntu 12.04 will be the first 5 year LTS release of the Edubuntu project.
- For this release we focused on quality and stability and refrained from any significant feature improvements.
- iTalc, our classroom management tool has been replaced by Epoptes, which is more stable and better integrated with Edubuntu and LTSP.
- LTSP is updated to the new major 5.3 release, fixing many bugs, improving performance, bandwidth usage and providing better fat client support.
- Freemind and Geogebra were dropped from the default Edubuntu installation in an effort to avoid Java on our DVD. Both of these are still available via the Software Center, but aren't covered by the LTS support term.
- The KDE version of edubuntu-desktop will only be supported on a best effort basis and isn't covered by the LTS support term either.
- Edubuntu now includes vim and pastebinit by default to make the command line experience of advanced users more pleasant.
The full technical overview for this beta release is available on the Ubuntu wiki. Be sure to read the Ubuntu parts too, since it also impacts Edubuntu.
The installation media can be downloaded from the Ubuntu cdimage site.
If you find any bugs, please report them at the usual place and tag the edubuntu-dev team. Happy testing!